- hare and hounds
- nounan outdoor game; one group of players (the hares) start off on a long run scattering bits of paper (the scent) and pursuers (the hounds) try to catch them before they reach a designated spot• Syn: ↑paper chase• Hypernyms: ↑game
* * *noun: a game in which two or more of the players start out first, scatter bits of paper for a trail, and try to keep ahead of the others who try to catch them before they reach a designated place
* * *an outdoor game in which certain players, the hares, start off in advance on a long run, scattering small pieces of paper, called the scent, with the other players, the hounds, following the trail so marked in an effort to catch the hares before they reach a designated point. Also called paper chase.[1835-45]
* * *hare and hounds nounA paper chase• • •Main Entry: ↑hare
* * *hare and hounds,an outdoor sport in which one or more players, the hares, leaving a trail of bits of paper, attempt to utilize a few minutes' start to reach home, at some considerable distance, before their pursuers, the hounds, can catch them by following the trail.
* * *
Useful english dictionary. 2012.